Monday 10 May 2010

Descisions descisions....

I do not want to be Nick CLegg at the moment - or those of the party that have to vote on what is essentially the future of the country.

Lets get one thing straight, I am a committed Liberal Democrat. because I agree with what have been their core policies for the past 20 years or so. I support electoral reform, STV is my personal preferred option, and I think that, if handled correctly, this situation could turn out to me the making of this country. There, that said that out of the way.

The support for electoral reform is growing now, and the genie is out of the bottle, and it won't go away. no matter what the outcome of the current talks, the campaign will gather momentum among the electorate, it may take a few years, but it cannot be ignored by the politicians now.

I am of the opinion that the PR commitment then, is the least important deal breaker - the media is making us out to be a single issue party, which we are not. Far more important is the other issues in our manifesto the other things I voted for. - A fairer society, and the position in Europe being the two other core policies that mark us out from the other parties. It is these policies that Nick needs to be pushing for more than PR, which I am sure he is doing. Weather the deal is done with the Tories or Labour, these ideals are the ones that need to be the sticking point - we need to temper the Tories idea for budgets cuts and tax increases with our idea of fairness - that the cuts in bureaucracy, for example, are passed through to fund front line services, rather than swallowed up elsewhere. The closing of the non dom tax loopholes, and the prevention of non resident, non uk taxpayers being able to bankroll UK politics. Right od recall to those MP's that misuse the system. Better ways of preventing crime, preventing young offenders being hardened criminals for example. Not cutting inheritance tax for the wealthiest in the land, at the expense of those who suffer the most. Finally, better cooperation with Europe - working as a committed leader in Europe, rather than the prevalent Tory euroscpetic stance, these are all issues which I am sure are on the table.

As to my position re who should Nick jump into bed with, well, I am neutral... I applaud Mr Clegg for sticking to his guns, rather than flip flopping because the result went the way it did. Lets see which of the "big two" is prepared to give us some of our manifesto, and if none is, then let them form a minority government. This is the chance to change the direction this country is heading in - if it is managed right. Good luck Nick.

No comments:

Post a Comment